The competition in the context of the festival
The competition JUNGER FILM is the centre of this festival and it is intended to become the most important and attractive competition of the year for the young film scene.
- The admission of a film to the competition alone, is an award for the cinematic quality and originality.
- FiSH is a public festival that enables film makers to experience their films in high picture and audio quality in a resonance chamber of at least 150 to 300 film enthusiasts.
- FiSH is a discursive festival that enables film makers to experience their films in open jury discussions, film discussions on stage as well as professional discussions and disputations that follow after the presentation of the film.
Admission to the competition
It is our aspiration to reach preferably all young film makers nationwide until the age of 27 and invite them to take part in the competition by submitting their ambitious and best films.
Films are admitted to the competition under the following conditions:
- films may not be older than two years
- the authors may not be older than 27 years during the production of the film; the involvement of older people in the production of the film is, however, not an exclusion criterion
- films have to be non-commercial, i.e. films having any connection to economic contexts
- as a general rule, films may not exceed the maximum length of 30 minutes (FiSH does not consider itself purely a short film festival, exceptions are, however, acceptable if the quality of the film justifies it)
Competition programme and selection committee
The competition programme shall capture the content-related and form specific trends, movements and innovations of one film year. From the jurors in our selection committee, we expect decicive subjectivity as well as aesthetic tolerance and a wide variety of interests in regard to the reception and evaluation of various contents and aesthetic expressions.
The film selection for the competition pursues a simple search: Which films are the best and the most interesting ones in the year of the competition?
- the film makers put heart and soul into the film, i.e. the film is thematically relevant and authentic, it tells a story about something that is close to the film makers’ heart
- the cinematic narrative style is fresh and unconventional or even genuine and innovative, the film language is not merely point-blank, but it deviates from the non-ambitious, professionally practised mainstream in cinema, tv and web
- the film has the power to grab the audience, to entertain and to challenge it, to arouse it and to excite it, to put it up to reactions and discussion
- it is most important at JUNGER FILM that the narrated content is prior to the narrative form as much as is distinguishable
The transparent and openly acting, heterogeneously assembled expert panel awards a gold medal to the films that comply best with these standards. The jury additionally awards the prize „Film des Jahres“ (film of the year) to the film that most likely conveys the provoking kick of an exceptional art experience.
Last reviewed and updated by the FiSH program group,
Rostock, in January 2013